Saturday, November 11, 2006

Art in Cameroon

I have boughten my share of masks from different parts of Cameroon. When I first moved here, I was so delighted and enchanted (this is one of our 4th grade vocabulary words) by the amount of arts and crafts in Cameroon. From masks to pottery, I wanted to buy it all. This year, I have been a bit more selective about what I buy since I know a bit more about quality and price.

One of the crafts that I enjoy purchasing are the batik prints made from dye and wax. There are several people in the city who do Batik making. A few times I have gone to one called ArtBatik . You can check out this website, which has information about the place as well as examples of batiks. If you scroll to the bottom you will see other links to arts and crafts in Cameroon.

I just realized that I ordered a table cloth from this particular man about 3 weeks ago. Here in Cameroon, business operates differently than one would expect in the U.S. In the United States, if a person tells you that your things will be ready on June 5, you should expect that they will be ready at this time. The company knows that if they don't deliver, the customer will get upset and probably will never shop there again. So, three weeks ago, the man told me that he would call in one week. It has been three weeks now and I'm still waiting. I get clothes sewn from a lady who does the same thing. She will tell me a date and deliver long after that date has passed. I am getting better at being patient and am realizing that it will get done when it gets done.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I want 1!

8:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeniffer,

It is really informative for me.

I would be thankful to you if you can provide me further details about artican art especially central africa.

I searched a lot on google for african art but i could not find exact search. I wish to add African Art Style - as many as i can explore to my art portal - www.artandpainting.net

You will be aware of africa by heart & soul. So even if you can help me to identify of african art keywords - i will explore further.

Thanks in advance

9:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet thnx for your help i am doing a project on Cameroon and i needed the arts this helped thanks again!!

9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home