Thursday, November 09, 2006

Mt. Cameroon Training



I'm training for Mt. Cameroon! That's right. I'm traing for a 3 day hike up the tallest volcanoes in Africa. Every February, the school takes a group of students up to Mt. Cameroon for this rigorous and challenging hike. Last year I signed up to be a chaperone for this event, but we all know what happened last year. I injured my knee!! This year, I feel as though my knee is strong and I am capable of completing this task.

I started my training last week. We took a walk up Mt. Febe and ran four times up and down a steep set of stairs. With every training I feel that I am getting stronger. And, it has also been a joy to exercise and train with a group of adults and studennts. Two years ago, I trained for the Los Angeles marathon with a group. A training group has the power to encourage you and push you harder than you thought possible.

Every Sunday we meet at Mt. Febe for our 2 hour walk up the mountain. This morning I decided that I had to take a picture of this hideous statue that sits at the roundabout (where we meet for our trainings). It does have nice green grass and plants that surround it. Great for a picnic. I've never tried. But the surrounding beauty makes it ok that this ugly thing sits at the roundpoint.

Anyways, on Monday I was extremely proud of myself. For our training, we had to run for 20minutes. So, I decided to give it a try. I didn't run the entire 20 minutes, but did run/walk. My knee felt great. That was the first time that I had run that much on my knee since before the injury. I'm happy with myself.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im glad that your accomplishing something that you want to do.. i wish i was climbing that mountain with you. cant wait to see the new pictures

12:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jennifer, We really enjoy reading everything you post and are happy along with you that your knee is holding up well; now don't re-injure it while chasing down that turkey for Thanksgiving! We check often to see what you have added and alway enjoy it. :}

10:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer:
I just came across your blog and I was so thrilled! I am a Cameroonian by birth, and currently in the US. As we say in Cameroon, born and bred in Yaounde, but haven't been home in about 5 or 6 years, so I am really excited to read about your experiences and all. Have you now acquired a taste for ndole? I hope so because it really tastes good when cooked properly. Good luck on your race!
Best Wishes!!

3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home