Thursday, December 01, 2005

Trip to Limbe





I finally had time this week to sit down and write about my wonderful four day weekend. My friends and I took a great, relaxing trip to the beach town of Limbe. Limbe is located in the Southwest Province of Cameroon and is an English speaking area. I was confused for a second when the waitress at the restaurant asked me in English what I wanted to drink.

Our journey to Limbe was quick. We had to pass through the city of Douala, an extremely busy port city in the Littoral Province. Before passing through Douala, I thought Yaounde was hectic and crowded. However, I think Douala has Yaounde beat in that department. As we entered, we were met with a mass of people walking on the streets, riding motorcycles, and selling various goods. A little passed Douala, we were stopped by a police officer who refused to give my car papers back unless we gave him 1,000cfa. Even further, we stopped on the side of the road to check out a snake being sold to a natural healer (picture). As we kept pushing further towards Limbe we passed many rubber, banana (picture of bananas protected by bags), and palm tree plantations. Most of the plantations are owned by the CDC, Cameroonian Development Corporation, who also provide housing for the plantation workers.

We stayed at the Seme New Beach Hotel in Limbe. It was an excellent choice because they had an awesome beachfront behind the hotel. From the beach you were able to see towering volcanic mountains covered with mist and magnificent vegetation, which included palm trees and various other tropical trees. It was an absolutely beautiful sight. I have plenty of pictures. We arrived Thursday and left Sunday. We went to the beach every single day (well, except Sunday). It was a very relaxing and fun time to be able to swim out past the breaking waves and look back at the scenery. Oh! I also forgot to mention that Limbe has beautiful black sand beaches (it looked more dark brown than black) due to past lava flows of Mount Cameroon.

We visited the Botanical gardens, which had various plant life. We had a delicious grilled fish dinner at night (during a power outage) on the beach. We also took a stroll through the fish market where we saw the daily life of a fishing community. It was quite interesting to see the fishing canoes. They would sail out into the water, catch fish and return with a boatful of fresh fish. I enjoyed watching them roll their canoes back onto the beach by the use of cans (picture). We drove out to the nearby city of Buea. We took a nice drive around and visited the University. We were not able to see Mount Cameroon due to the thick fog. Afterwards, we had lunch at a nearby city, where we ate Eru (a vegetable pronounced arrow) made with palm oil and water fufu made from cassava.

I didn’t want to leave the little town of Limbe. Although, we hardly saw the sun, we had a wonderful time swimming in the beach and enjoying the Southwest Province.

24 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

P,

Great post and pictures! So glad that you enjoyed a wonderful (and safe) weekend.

Mom and I look forward to visiting so we can share in some of your adventures.

Love, Dad

11:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello dear jennifer! i enjoyed your pictures! it reminds me on jamaica. it seems you are having a great time overthere.

keep writing!
regards,
branka from kuwait

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer,
I loved your trip across Cameroon.I am a Cameroonian myself and I'm sorry for what the corrupt police officer had to put you through.Have a nice time and enjoy Cameroon.That is Africa in miniature.So don't even bother visiting another African country.
Bon

3:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I grew up in Limbe and after living abroad (Boston) for twenty years, i at times tend to forget how beautiful limbe really is.looking at your pictures reminded me of that and brought tears to my eyes.
Thank and Best regards,
Oscar.

3:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello, do you know how I can seek justice from two people who scammed me for money from Limbe cameroon, they said they export reptiles and I sent them money and never recieve nothin from them, I want to report them to the authorites, please email me at
( sep21@rushcomm.ca )

mike

here is there contact information of these scammers

SALLY NGOWO
livestock exporters cameroon.
BOX 321 limbe
cameroon.

and

Kulu Daniel,
livestock exporters cameroon
box 321 Limbe-south west provice.
cameroon.
africa
Tel; (237) 791 94 20.

7:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi dear thanks alot for your pictures and lovely comments about limbe. i live in the uk but was born in limbe. my don't understand when i tell themm how beatiful limbe is and how i can't think of going anywhere else on holidays except limbe. i will forward them your website so they can see for themselves. well done gurl. enjoy cameroon!

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thankz for da memory,i don't know wat to say anymore,rather than thank u.i grow up in dat very limbe and i truly believe dat was da best city in cameroon.i wish going there again one day.i wish u a happy stay in cameroon and if u don't mine,can u pls send me ur nom.

3:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer, my names Lisa Im a student in London and am seriously thinking of volunteering inLimbe Wildlife Centre cameroon. Are there any internet places or telephones thereare the people friendly? your pictures are amazing btw :) Lisa

2:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jennifer, your Limbe blog really made me miss home. I was born in Limbe but live in Canada now. Last time I was there was Jan. 06. My mom just left Houston today heading back to Limbe after an extended holiday at my brother's. Next time you're in Limbe, ask for "Aunty Blacky", the first female cabby in Cameroon. I'm sure she'll have lots to tell you about her walmart experiences and such. Good job girl, and God bless.

Sam Tita

8:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi jennifer...when i read the title life in cameroun, it is interesting because i'm also a foreign of this land i'm a filipino and first time to go here in cameroun...i like the pictures...i also experienced what you've experienced with the police man...i just want to take some photos and there's a guy get my camera and ask for a money...anyways, enjoy your stay in cameroun...i wish we can also go to limbe...

6:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

luv all yr postes.i live in limbe, i luv limbe,i will continue to stay in limbe, to crown it we the number one in Cameroon.

1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jeny
how was your trip back home,it is the receptionist from seme beach hotel,i lost your address you gave to me,but sure we can keep in touch,please send more friends to our hotel. 00237 7557 2213

2:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

when next you visit limbe don,t forget to pay a visit to any of the Achu eating houses. They are allover Chucrh street. Ask for sweet Mother.This dish originates from the NWP.It's an experience you will not want to miss.
CMusa

1:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet you Limbe is a marvelous place to be. If u are not careful, you can even forget about what u came there for. Went next you go there please call this lady 237 77375507 mami mile four who prepares delicious Achu and yellow soup.

8:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cameroon is a great place but the gov't is not doing enough to stop dis corruption and the employment scheme is base on "who you know" at the top....but without that cameroon overall is great,peacefull place to invite or live in.

1:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Makes me miss home

4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woww this was really interesting to leave a comment about :) I am doing a school project about french speaking countries and it said that Cameroon speaks French I too was confused when it said aboutt the waitress.
I would just like to ask you if it does actually speak all english or some french aswell? Thank you SchoolGirl97

11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jennifer i am happy you are enjoying my home town, ever since i bought my ticket for cameroon, coming dec 14, ive just been dreaming bout spending time with my family in limbe. My gurl friend and i will be c oming home for my brother's taditional wedding, i cant wait to come home, all i think bout is the roasted fish they have in down beach, i know you know exactly what im talking bout, see u cant find that here in houston so i have to pay $1800 just to go eat fresh fish from Limbe. I love your pics and im happy you rally enjoyed your self in my city (Limbe). c u in dec 2010.Terence

10:13 PM  
Blogger hithere1 said...

Thanks for the pictures and comments about Cameroon. I am looking at moving to Cameroon. I have a job offer from Buns Construction Company Ltd. in Limbe. Have you heard of them or is it a scam?

8:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey,you did a great job to promote limbe,a small scale of cameroon beauty.next time visit more towns and village and help expose the bad roads.thanks

5:52 PM  
Anonymous Salaam M. said...

This site is very useful for my project that I am working on for Cameroon. Keep up the good work!!!!

1:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Jenny, Thank you very much for your interesting insights!
I will be for a couple of days in Yaonde and Douala and wanted to ask you a couple of questions as it is my first time in the country. Would you be so kind to send me a contact email or number?
my email is nfotilas@gmail.com

Thank you once more in advance.

Best regards,
Nikolas

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your pictures and I hope to go there someday!!

3:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

am call tigger i must say limbe is good cuz is a town of frienship we keep peace here an will be the #1 with no time love you all

4:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home