Monday, September 26, 2005

Bad Beginnings...

mean good endings. These are the words spoken to me by one of the school workers. It is hard to see the future in such a positive light, when your present situation reminds you otherwise.

On Wednesday morning I woke up with a fever, stomach and muscle aches. I arrived at school and began having chills. Because of my condition, I was taken to the downtown clinic to have a blood test done for malaria. I was tested for three different types of malaria, all of which turned up negative. Although, the test proved negative, my doctor explained to me that I could still have a mild case of malaria. She prescribed anti-malaria medication (which consisted of taking 24pills over a 3 day period) and antibiotics in case I also had a bacteria (which could have explained my constant upset stomach, fever, and chills). I took off Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday from school, and spent these days in bed.

These days more than any other I have missed the comforts of home. I feel that if I were back home, I would know exactly what the problem is with my knee, I could order delivery, I don’t have to deal with the mice or cockroaches running through my house, and I probably wouldn’t feel as bad if I was unable to get around like I am unable now. To top it all off, I have a leak from my bedroom roof. Don’t get me wrong, I can deal with these things, but it’s these things on top of the fact that my knee is hurt and I have either malaria or bacteria in my stomach!! I am beginning to become homesick. Lying around in bed all day probably does that to you. It seems as though everything is happening to me at once and I can’t handle it.

I want to mention that on Friday night there was a reception at the house of the Ambassador from Saudi Arabia. Although, I wanted to attend, I did not because I needed to rest. However, over the weekend I did finish watching the first complete season of the series 24.

I hope those good endings come quickly because right now they seem to be coming very slowly, if at all.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jen!

I'm sorry things are so rough right now, but try to keep your spirits up. I know all of us (your friends and family) think of you all the time. Just take it easy for a few days and keep in mind that I at least would trade places with you in a heartbeat. Of course, I'm in Monroe, MI, a town that makes Oxford look positivly cosmopolitan.

4:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Little P,

Keep your chin up! Remember what motivated you in the first place to seek adventure in a far off land. Trust me when I say that, minor setbacks along the way, are just that, minor setbacks. Continue to rest and let your body heal, and before long you'll be having those positive experiences again.

Sorry I missed the phone call yesterday. Mom said she really enjoyed talking with you. We'll call this weekend.

Love, Dad

1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer,

You don't know me, but I feel as if I know you quite well. I am a co-worker of your father's (at least until 9/30/2005, then I will be no more - RETIRING).

I told your father that I was really enjoying your adventure, it made me feel as if I was there. I too, like adventures (even if all in the mind).

I know (I did say know) that all will be well with you. You had such an exciting beginning and I'm certain that it will be again soon. I kept saying that I would right you one day, but felt that you would wonder who was this woman. But the more I read, the more I realized that you would enjoy hearing from a stranger, as much as I enjoy reading your posting. Keep up the good work and when you do leave, all the good that you have done will be remembered, not only by your students, but those like me who can only read.

Take time and take care. I will try keeping up with your postings at home.

Sign: No longer a stranger

8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home