Sunday, March 18, 2007





1. Hut 2. We felt we accomplished a lot when we arrived at Hut 2 six hours after beginning our trip. We still weren't at the summit, but we did climb one of the toughest parts of the journey. The climb up was extremely steep and rocky. Once we arrived we realized that all of the usual camping spots were taken by other hikers. There were many other groups on the mountain because it happened to be a holiday weekend in Cameroon-Youth Day. The majority of the porters slept in the huts. Our group set out to find and clear a space for our tents since the regular spots were taken.

In order to use the bathroom, we had to go to an outhouse made from aluminum. When I went to try to use the bathroom, my legs shook because I was so tired. Needless to say, using the bathroom in the outhouse after 6 hours of hiking wasn't the most comfortable.

For dinner, we cooked up a nice meal of peanut butter sandwiches, peanuts, and a neste crunch bar for dessert.

2. Our Tent! Meredith and I found a spot for our tent. The ambassador and his wife slept in the green tent in the back. Before setting up the tent, we had to clear away debris, rocks, and weeds. This happened to be my first camping experience and therefore, my first time setting up a tent. But, I think we did a great job!

3. I think there are about 1,001 uses for duct tape! And, duct tape was my best friend on this journey. The group used it to wrap our toes and heals to prevent blisters from forming. Here, I have it on my big toe because I felt it getting a bit sore.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI JEN,
I AM SO PROUD OF YOU,YOU HAVE OPEN MY EYES TO ALOT OF THINGS IN CAMEROON. I WAS BORN AND RAISED THERE BUT NOW I AM IN THE USA WITH MY HUSBAND, I HAVE NEVER DONE ALL WHAT YOU HAVE DONE IN YOUR LITTLE TIME.ANY HOW YOU HAVE GIVEN ME ALOT OF IDEA ON WHAT TO DO WHEN WE GO FOR A VISIT IN 2010. GOD BLESS YOU AND BE SAFE.I AM HAPPY YOU ENJOY BAMENDA BEST THAT IS MY PLACE, MY PARENTS AND LITTLE ONE'S LIVE THERE. HAVE FUN.
MILLIE

3:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home