Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Social Life in Yaounde

Moving to Yaounde from Los Angeles required an adjustment in social activities. In Los Angeles, I went out a few times each week after work. My friends and I would listen to poets speak about their anger, take a cappuccino at the local coffee house, or shake our hips to salsa music. In Los Angeles, I always ran around from one place to the next.

In Yaounde, the social scene is opposite. I don't find myself running around and doing as many things as I did in Los Angeles. The other day I had dinner with a German woman who complained about many things in Cameroon, including the lack of social activities. I agree with her, in the lack of offerings. Unlike her, it has never been a huge problem that I find the need to complain about. A place is what you make of it.

I have gotten to know many people here who have either invited me into their homes or taken me out to an event. Last weekend my friend, Vivian from Tanzania, invited me to a fashion show of a local seamstress. I would have never known about this event otherwise. It started late, but ended with a great showing of wonderful designs. I actually can't wait to have an outfit made by her (maybe in the fall).

This week is the l'ecran noir African film festival, where a host of films from South Africa, Niger, Cameroon, and other nations are shown. Last night, a friend and I watched Max and Mona, a South African comedy about a professional funeral mourner.

So, my point? Well, Yaounde has become what I have made of it. I have gone out and met people. I have found things to do such as the events above, drum lessons, and french lessons. And, I don't sit around bored waiting for something fun to drop on my lap.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post, P!

I'm real proud of you!

Love, Dad

P.S. Mom said that you can clean the fish when you visit this summer.

1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it is so wonderful that you went to CAMEROON. I am very happy that I stumbled across your blog. My husband is from Cameroon, but in a different city. We are planning on packing up the kids and moving to his homeland. Probably next year. I don't like cleaning fish either, but I have learned how to make a lot of African dishes.

6:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi im happy for you and i think it will be great experience for and also you will enjoy lots of stuff. good luck

7:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

August 26, 2007 night I wanted to check online for nite life in Yaounde. Your blog was one of the best online resources i found. I think i should do my research by talking to people i meet. Thank you.

11:05 PM  
Blogger Guru said...

hi, i am from india and i have been getting offers for appointment in Cameroon. How is the place and is it safe. i come from a very conservative and orthodox society - and we do not eat meat or even egg. how is the food and are vegetables available. can you pls mail me at my mail id: gurumurthyrk@yahoo.com

6:54 AM  
Blogger stargate said...

I'll like to know how you chose to move to Cameroon and the career you're pursuing. I am a Cameroonian and it makes me feel proud that of all the African countries, you decided to move to my country specifically to my city of origin. It is a fun place; just hope you get in touch with fun people so you can enjoy your stay there better.

8:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there, We have a beautiful religious community which might interest you to visit.... its on the hill about 1 hr away from Yaounde, we are from different countries... New Zealand, England, Brazil, Germany, Swiss. and ofcourse Camerouninas... Its has a splendid view overlooking the lake and the Town of BMALMAYO.
Hope you can visit us here to enrich your stay ok!
This is a member of the Community writing here. FRERE MARIE IRENEE

12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer, I understand you left Cameroon a while ago.. I am considering moving to Cameroon, and wondered if I provided my email address if I could contact you to ask a couple of questions about living in Yaounde. I've really enjoyed reading your blog.

6:23 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Kennedy said...

Yes, I would be more than happy to answer any questions you have about Cameroon!!

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home