Thursday, August 18, 2005

Cameroon thus far is quite different and quite wonderful at the same time. I like that there are tons of people in the streets, on the sides of the streets, crossing streets, practially everywhere! A lot of people just hang out while others are sell whatever they can. People sell shoes, steering wheel covers, peanuts in whiskey bottles (they taste so good), gum, or whatever they can. I'm not sure, but maybe jobs are hard to come around! I enjoy seeing all the many differnt faces of Cameroon. They come in lots of hues.

I bought a car from a teacher who will not return this school year. It is a Toyota Carina SE. I'm so excited to drive myself around, but nervous because there seems to be no rules for the road. You can pretty much do whatever you want. Driving in Cameroon is totally different than driving in the United States. Most streets have no lanes so you are free to make your own lane, wherever that may be. There are massive traffic circles where there is no such thing as yielding, you only have to go for it and force the other people to stop to let you by. I can turn into oncoming traffic if I want, making those drivers stop. So, you can see why I am nervous about driving. But, I did attempt my first drive today! I went down to the nearest gas station to get gas. I must say, that I did pretty well. I guess driving in Los Angeles prepared me for this.

The last few days I have set up my classroom. I am currently taking on the task (along with Richard, my teacher' aide) of organizing my library by genres. The desks are set up. The painters will paint the top portion of the classroom. However, the big part is lesson planning, which I will start shortly. I even met one of my student's. His name is Nathan and I found out he shares the same birthday as me! How cool is that.

We are going on our first excursion tomorrow to the Gorilla Sanctuary. I'll definitely write about that.

By the way, I am not trying to write a thesis here so I pretty much don't care about the grammar or spelling in the blog! I'm letting you know just in case my subject-verb agreement is off or whatever else is wrong wtih my writing! :)

I hope all is well.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer Kennedy said...

I'm so glad that you are keeping up with the blog. It really makes me happy that people I know are taking an interest!

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home