Thursday, June 14, 2007

You know you're tired when...





Stressful, Tiresome, and Busy. Those are the three words that would be describe my last week in Cameroon. Definitely not how I would want to spend my last days in Cameroon. In hindsight, I think I would have booked my flight out of Yaounde a week after school got out instead of two days after the final bell rings. Between dealing with school business and arranging my personal things, I have had no time to take in the beauty that I will leave behind nor properly say good-bye to the wonderful people I've met here.

Today, I knew I was tired when my eyes started burning after I tried removing my eye make up with make up remover. After applying the liquid to my eyes, and feeling the burning sensation, I decided to check the bottle. I had applied NAIL POLISH REMOVER to my eye instead of make up remover! I'm so lucky I'm not leaving Cameroon blind.

I can even tell I'm tired when I'm speaking with my co-workers. I will walk into their classroom, stand, and just stare around at the walls not realizing I actually did have something to say to them.

This week I have gone to many going away parties for teachers who are leaving as well as families who will no longer return. At one house, there were drummers who filled the brunch with a lovely sound. I couldn't leave there without doing a bit of dancing. And, of course, I had to say good-bye to my dance and drum instructors. I learned a lot about Cameroon culture from them.

I've done all this and I still have to pick up a skirt I ordered, visit the market one last time, and say bye to my friends at the orphanage.

At this point, I'm too overwhelmed and tired to be excited! But, I'm sure when I board the plane on Sunday, all will be well.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

P,

Congrats on a successful and wonderful two years! Mom and I are extremely proud of you. Look forward to seeing you next week.

Dad

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog!
plus Yaounde is my city. I miss the week-end jogging at the Mont Febe.

5:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have enjoyed reading your blogs. My neice is going to be teaching this year there and I hope she enjoys it as much. It will certainly be an adventure for her.

7:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the Egyptian Queen,
it was fun working with you...hope u keep that slim fit see what i mean ..over here we are back to school as usual

11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've enjoyed reading your blog. Very detailed. I felt as though I was there with you. I'm going to Cameroon in Feb 2008 with the intent on finding a place to live. I'd like to ask you a few questions, please contact me at prazdancr4501@yahoo.com

Thanks, TC

9:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer

Great to read your blog. I will be moving to Douala to start a 2 year teaching contract in July 2008. I am an independent female traveller in my late 40's. I have lived and travelled extensively in eastern and southern Africa. Do you have any tips for me about living in Douala and also about independent travel in Cameroon eg. best way to move around for single women.

RE health precautions what did you find was absolutely essential? Did you take antimalaria pills?

Wishing you future happy travels.

Lena

10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi how are you ?

i am planning go to douala , could tell me something about the life in there , how is the people ?
how much do you spend in food, housing ....


thank a lot
take care

10:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jennifer,

I am an undergraduate sociology student,at George Mason University in Virginia, writing a research paper on Cameroon and the community immigration of Cameroonians here in the U.S. I'd love your perspective, as an American, on life in Cameroon. If you'd be willing either answer a few question via email or over the phone that would be great. Please contact me at pnoel@gmu.edu. Thanks!

7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home