Monday, May 01, 2006

Kribi!!

My second trip to Kribi was so much more relaxing than the first. Since, I had problems getting specific documents for my car (in hopes not to get stopped as much as the first time) we settled on renting a school van. So, Ginger (the school nurse), the two student teachers, Jennifer and Katie, and I set off to Kribi. The trip was stress free with a driver named Fabian and a school van rental. We took in the sun, ate fresh fish, and even marveled at a late night thunderstorm out in the distant horizon

The first day out to the beach, we waded in the water and for some reason or another began a discussion on jellyfish. When I began to tell a story of when I went swimming in a jellyfish filled lake while visiting Denmark, one attacked the back of my leg. Ok, I’m exaggerating a bit. Maybe its best to say that it lightly grazed the back part of my knee. With a quick brush, I knocked it off and quickly ran out of the water to inspect my leg. The part where I was stung was slightly raised and stinging. Shortly after, I developed an odd-shaped burn mark. My paranoia went wild. I thought my leg would fall off or a poisonous substance would run through my body. Needless to say, I was scared to enter the waters for the next few days. I would tiptoe into the water, float a bit, and then run back out. Three weeks later I have a mark from the sting and a nice little rash that itches like crazy. I think my paranoia is still lingering because after the rash developed (two weeks later), I consulted the World Book encyclopedia to self-diagnose my symptoms. So, I didn’t learn anything about my particular case, but I did learn that there is a deadly jellyfish, called the sea wasp, found in the northern part of Australia, that when it stings may kill a person within 3 minutes. A coworker had a worse jellyfish sting a few weeks before mine. The sucker was wrapped around her ankle forcing her to grab it and yank it off. She even had the tentacle marks! No need to worry, I’ve been applying anti-itch cream and things are looking better.

I hope you enjoy the pictures.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a very good website. NICE BACKGROUND! and alot of information

2:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fun to find your website. I lived there as a kid, late 70's in Bastos. I loved the pictures of Kribi! Are you teaching at the ASOY? I will definately watch your blog. So much fun to see a part of my past!

10:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I lived there too! early to mid seventies.Loved it there and love seeing all your photos and Kribi where I spent many great days. Glad you are so willing to adapt to a different way of life.

4:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home