Monday, March 13, 2006

International Women's Day


Last Wednesday, March 8, was International Women’s Day (also my Dad’s Birthday). It was a day to celebrate the achievements of women all over the world. When I drove to school, I noticed that the main road in Bastos looked abandoned. Then it dawned on me! There were no women selling soups, bananas, or taking taxis to work. Almost none of the daily functions were taking place. Since it was a holiday, women had the day off work and many participated in the women’s day parade. It was evident, even from such a short drive down the street, that the Cameroonian women have a great impact on the country.

Women dressed in bright green and pink fabrics, which advertised Women’s Day. Check out the picture with first grade student, Ramona, and her teacher, Ms. Nkwain! Many women wore their Women’s Day clothes to celebrate their day. I had a shirt made from the fabric, but it was not ready in time for me to wear. Maybe next year! The women held a parade in downtown. I heard many held posters and signs stating that they are being mistreated, but these were taken away from them before the filming of the parade.

After work, I celebrated Women’s Day with some coworkers. We enjoyed a nice cold beer (Castel) together. We chatted about everything under the sun. In the evening, the women filled the streets and bars to celebrate. It was a great day to celebrate and reflect on how far women have come and how much further we have to go.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I just found your site through Global Villages and am utterly thrilled.

I attended ASOY (then known as ISOY, the International School of Yaounde) more than 20 years ago for 5th-7th grade. I think that Yaounde is my favorite of all the places I have ever lived. It seems as though you are appreciating and making the most of it! I look forward to exploring your site further!

4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home